If you are a beginner basketball player, you could be confused every time you want to buy basketball shoes. Suppose you’re going to be a professional basketball player. In that case, you must know the basketball shoes types and why shoemakers like Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, or other big brands are making different types of basketball shoes.
Types of shoes for basketball reflect many things such as player position, according to your feet structure, your playing style, Indoor or an outdoor court, etc. Whenever you are going to purchase new basketball shoes, the above point must be considered to make a well-informed decision.
- Basketball Shoes Types
- Majors Basketball Shoes Types
- Minor Basketball Shoes Types
- Low-Top Basketball Shoe
- Advantages Of Low-Top Basketball Shoe
- Disadvantages Of Low-Top Basketball Shoe
- Mid-Top Basketball Shoe
- Advantages Of Mid-Top Basketball Shoe
- Disadvantages Of Mid-Top Basketball Shoe
- High-Top Basketball Shoe
- Advantages Of High-Top Basketball Shoe
- Disadvantages Of High-Top Basketball Shoe
- Basketball Shoes By Position
- Shoes For Guards
- Shoes For Forwards
- Shoes For All-Around Players
- Types Of Basketball Shoes Upper
- Ankle Support & Movability Comparison
- Frequently Asked Question About Basketball Shoes Types
Basketball Shoes Types
Majorly there are three basic types of basketball shoes, but there are some other types as well.
Majors Basketball Shoes Types
Minor Basketball Shoes Types
Let’s discuss one by one both categories of basketball shoe
Low-Top Basketball Shoe
Low-top basketball shoes look like running shoes or athletic shoes. These shoes are the best for the player who needs high speed and good traction. It has designed for the high-speed player, so it has the lowest weight among all types of basketball shoes.
Advantages Of Low-Top Basketball Shoe
These are the main advantages of low top basketball shoes
- You can move freely and perform any maneuverable.
- It allows quick movement and sharp turn, and sudden start and stop.
- A wide range of motion is possible because your ankle has not covered.
- Jumping is very comfortable
- Easy to wear and flexible
- Lighter Weight as compare with the other basketball shoe types
- Perfect for Dunking
- It is the cooler basketball shoes as compared with the other two types
Disadvantages Of Low-Top Basketball Shoe
The main disadvantages of Low Top Basketball Shoes are
- The less ankle support and tends towards the high risk of injury
- Less Safe than other two types
Mid-Top Basketball Shoe
Most of the players like the mid-top basketball shoes as it is in between the low top and high top, and it also shares the properties of both shoe types.
It is more suitable for the basketball player who needs a moderate jump level, but suddenly stop and start is the main requirement. It has partial ankle support, but this type of ankle support didn’t restrict you from free and quick movement. On the other hand, its weight is not very low, not very heavy, prohibiting you from rapid movement.
Almost all the big brands like Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, etc., give more focus on mid-top shoes as mid-top shoes choose most the basketball player, either professional NBA player or the beginner player.
Advantages Of Mid-Top Basketball Shoe
The advantages of Mid-top basketball shoes are
- It has the appropriate ankle support
- Not Very heavyweight
- You can run a sprint in warmups
- Sudden stop and start are possible.
- A adequate level of jumping is possible.
Disadvantages Of Mid-Top Basketball Shoe
The main disadvantages of Mid-top basketball shoes are
- Not Proper ankle support
- Not lightweight as compare low top basketball shoes but not heavy as high top basketball shoes
Before going towards the high top basketball shoes watch the video below for Low-top and high-top basketball differences
High-Top Basketball Shoe
As basketball is a sudden stop and starts to beat your opponent player, ankle support is too important to protect your ankle from an injury like ankle rolling.
It is the heaviest shoe than the other two basketball shoe types because it has covered the ankle, and some is cushioning at the ankle. The material and the cushion have some weight which has added to the overall weight of the shoes.
It decreases your ability to move freely and fastly and speed bursting. These shoes are best for dunker who usually jump higher, and they have a lot of stress at the time of landing; that’s why they need the extra ankle support to protect their ankle.
As high top shoes have generally designed for the dunker, so it has extra cushioning as well.
Nike LeBron XIII is one of the best high-top basketball shoes with a high price tag range.
Some new technologies allow some weight reduction in high-top shoes. The phylon midsole is one of that technology that passes in the entire sole.
Advantages Of High-Top Basketball Shoe
The main advantages of the high top basketball shoes are
- Best ankle support than the mid-top and the low basketball shoes.
- Extra cushioning than the other two types
- Best for Jump higher with minimum risk of injury
Disadvantages Of High-Top Basketball Shoe
These are the disadvantages of high top basketball shoes
- Free and burst movement is somewhat restricted
- Breathability is less as compared to other types of basketball shoes
Basketball Shoes By Position
The primary position in basketball is
Let’s discuss the shoes for these positions.
Shoes For Guards
The main requirement of Guards is Quick and sudden movement throughout the court. So my recommendations for guards are low-top basketball shoes or maximum mid-top basketball shoes. Both basketball shoes didn’t restrict free movement. Some famous Guards basketball shoes are
- Under Armour Curry 9
- Puma Clyde All-Pro
- Nike KD 14
- New Balance TWO WXY
- Under Armour Curry 8
- Nike PG 5
Shoes For Forwards
Requirements of Forwards are playing at forwarding position, which includes jumps as well. So my recommendation for forwards is High top basketball shoes due to extra ankle support. Some famous forwards basketball shoes are
- Nike LeBron XVII
- Nike Kyrie 6
- Adidas Marquee Boost
- Adidas OwnTheGame
- Adidas T-Mac Millennium
Shoes For All-Around Players
All-around players take the responsibility in the mid of the court usually. Its means in normal circumstances, they don’t jump and don’t run fast. So my recommendations for all-around players are mid-top basketball shoes.
Types Of Basketball Shoes Upper
The main types of basketball shoes upper are
- Textile Mesh
- Knitted Material
- Synthetic Leather
Ankle Support & Movability Comparison
The main conclusion of the above discussion is that you should choose your shoes according to your playing position and playing style. Others think you must keep in mind that your ankle support health. Please consult your physio and Doctor as well.
If you are a beginner, then you start with the mid-top basketball shoes and observe the response of your feet and ankle according to your playing position, then decide further.
Identifying the right basketball shoes is art so if you are still confused, let me know in the comment. I will try to resolve your confusion.
If you are a beginner player, you should try different basketball shoes to check which shoes suit you according to your foot structure.
Frequently Asked Question About Basketball Shoes Types
Q-1: What are the types of basketball shoes?
Ans: There are three basic types of basketball shoes
- Low Top
- Mid Top
- High Top
Q-2: What is the best shoes for basketball?
Ans: As per three significant basketball shoes, all types are best depending on your requirement and playing position. The low-top basketball shoes give you unrestricted movement, but it has minimum ankle support 2ndly the high-top basketball shoes has the best ankle support, but the movement restriction is there a bit. Mid-top basketball shoes have a moderate level of ankle support along with movement.
- 10 Best Basketball Shoes For Guards (2023) | Best Shoes For Point Guards - February 9, 2023
- 10 Best Basketball Shoes For Volleyball Of 2023 | Volleyball Shoes For Basketball - February 9, 2023
- 10 Best Basketball Shoes For Ankle Support (2023) | Best Ankle Support Shoes - February 8, 2023