How to prevent basketball shoes from smelling
Imagine you are changing shoes after a tough basketball match. You or your teammate complain about the foul smell; it will be a very embarrassing situation if you want to get rid of smelly shoes, then you must know how to prevent odor basketball shoes. This will help your hygiene as well.
Did you ever think about why your shoes stink?
As per the expert, there are multiple reasons behind the reason why your basketball shoes stink. Your one foot has approx. 125000 sweat glands that are means you have 250000 sweat glands for both your feet. All these glands have produced half a pint of sweat in a familiar atmosphere. There are few injections available in the market to overcome this excessive sweating up to a certain level. You should need to consult with your doctor before using this type of injection.
Bacteria is also the one common reason for shoe sticks.
- How To Prevent Basketball Shoes From Smelling – 11 Methods
- Baking Soda
- Essential Oils
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Best Rubbing Alcohol Recommendation
- Baby Powder
- Cat Litter
- Black Tea Bags
- Fabric Softener Sheets
- Washing Shoes
- Why Do My Basketball Shoes Smell and Prevention?
- Best Shoe Odor Deodorizer
- Lumi Outdoors Natural Shoe Deodorizer
- Odor-Eaters Foot Powder
- Dr. Scholl’s Odor-Fighting X Foot Powder
- Rocket Pure Natural Shoe Deodorizer Spray
- Marsheepy 12 Pack Charcoal Shoe Deodorizer Bags
- Last Advice
- Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
How To Prevent Basketball Shoes From Smelling – 11 Methods
If you are scared of the shoes stinking and want a permanent solution. Below are some reasons which we discuss
- Baking Soda
- Fabric softener sheets
- Essential oils
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Baby Powder
- Cat Litter
- Homemade Shoe Deodorizers
- Washing Shoes
- Freeze Them
- Best Shoe Odor Deodorizer
Let’s have a look at the video before going into the detail of each point
It is one of the easiest & effective ways to get rid of the smell. Baking soda’s chemical name is Sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO₃), or some people also say it bicarbonate of soda.
It eliminates the smell very rapidly. It would help if you sprinkled some powder in the shoes in the morning, and the shoes will be smell-free till the evening or night. To avoid directly on the leather surface of the shoes will decrease the leather life.
It will act as a shoe deodorizer or odor eaters. Just 2 to 3 spoons of baking soda and knot your shoes tightly. Stuff sock, piece of paper, or any fabric in the boots for 8 to 12 hours. After the prescribed interval, the bad smell will be a flyover, and now you and your teammates can breathe easily.
Some Backing Soda Recommendation are
The 2nd most effective household method to remove the odor is the use of charcoal. Charcoal is a carbon base residue that is very famous as Odor Absorber.
The method of usage is the same as with baking soda. The charcoal will also need the shoe’s breathability.
Some Charcoal Recommendation are
- VZee Charcoal Bags Odor
- Nature Fresh Charcoal Bags Odor Absorber
- NIYIKOW Nature Fresh Bamboo Charcoal Air Purifying Bags
Sports shoes get very smelly if you try to wear them without proper sports socks, especially when the weather is hot. The chemical name of salt is Sodium chloride (NaCl) is one of the best moisture absorbents. It will absorb the order along with the moisture.
You need to sprinkle some salt in your basketball shoes and leave it for 10 to 16 hours, and you will be amazed at the result.
Five to six drops of essential oil into your sports shoes will give you a refreshing smell. There is much essential oil such as tea tree oil & eucalyptus, clove, etc. Please don’t put the oil directly on your shoes; it will mark the shoes.
Take a small piece of paper or tissue paper, put some oil drop on it, and put this paper or tissue paper in the shoes for the whole night.
Rubbing Alcohol is also very effective in removing the shoe order. It is also famous for isopropyl alcohol (C3H8O).
Rubbing Alcohol would help if you put some rubbing alcohol into your smelly basketball shoes; it will help a lot in the shoe stinking. In 8 to 10 hours, your sports shoes will be odorless.
Best Rubbing Alcohol Recommendation
As per my experience the best rubbing alcohol are
- Dealmed Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 70% USP
- Isopropyl Alcohol 99% (IPA) Rubbing Alcohol
- Swan 70% Rubbing Alcohol
The use of baby powder is a prudent step rather than a preventive step. It will not address the root cause of the problem. There are two ways to apply the baby powder. One is to put the baby powder inside the shoes. The 2nd method is to rub some powder on your feet.
You might be amazed by knowing that cat litter has used for shoe stinky. It has an excellent property of absorption and deodorizers. The method is the same as to mention above by other material. You need to be careful cleaning after 8 hours.
Black Tea Bags
The black tea bag has tannins; it has polyphenolic biomolecules, which help a lot in bacteria-killing, reducing, or eliminating the smell from the shoes.
Make a cup of water, put a black tea bag in this water, heat this water for up to two to 4 minutes. Put that tea bag in your shoes and wait for 30 and you will get the required result in 30 min maximum.
Black tea bags is one of the best natural shoe deodorizers.
Fabric Softener Sheets
Fabric softener sheets are another essential method for the get rid of smelly basketball shoes. Just put a new fabric softener sheet in your shoes and leave the shoe for few hours. It will neutralize the odor and make you feel comfortable and happy.
This is the last method of “How to prevent basketball shoes from smelling” if you feel that you are not getting the required result from all the above methods, you can choose this freeze option. The process is quite simple. Just put your shoes in an air-tight plastic sealable bag and put this bag in the freezer for 8 to 10 hours.
Typically, all bacteria grow at 40F to 140F, and Their upper death temperature is 149F and lower or freezing death temperature near 0F. All the bacteria has the different death temperature.
Before going for this option, you must consult a shoe manufacturer.
There are two points of view for washing shoes. Some experts say that you should wash the shoes before the above process, and others believe that you should wash the shoes after the above process.
In my view, you must consult your shoe manufacturer before washing and the above process. According to some experts, the washing of sports shoes is risky. It will deteriorate the characteristics of shoes.
Why Do My Basketball Shoes Smell and Prevention?
Sports shoes can develop unpleasant odors due to several factors. Here are some common reasons why sports shoes may smell:
- Perspiration: When you engage in physical activities, your feet sweat. The moisture from sweat gets trapped inside the shoes, creating a damp environment that promotes bacterial and fungal growth. The bacteria and fungi break down the sweat, leading to the release of unpleasant odors.
- Bacteria and fungi: The warm and moist environment inside sports shoes provides an ideal breeding ground for bacteria and fungi. These microorganisms thrive in such conditions and can cause foul smells as they multiply and release metabolic byproducts.
- Lack of ventilation: Insufficient airflow and ventilation in the shoes can contribute to the accumulation of moisture and sweat. If your shoes do not have adequate breathability, the trapped moisture becomes a breeding ground for odor-causing bacteria and fungi.
- Improper drying: Any residual moisture can contribute to odor buildup if you don’t allow your sports shoes to dry thoroughly after use. Removing any inserts or insoles and allowing them to dry separately is essential.
- Poor hygiene: If you wear sports shoes without socks or reuse sweaty socks multiple times, it increases the likelihood of unpleasant odors. Socks behave as a barrier between your feet and shoes, absorbing sweat and reducing the growth of odor-causing bacteria.
To prevent or reduce the smell in your sports shoes, you can take the following measures:
- Keep your feet clean: Wash your feet thoroughly with soap and water daily, paying attention to the areas between your toes. Dry your feet completely before wearing shoes.
- Wear moisture-wicking socks: Opt for socks made of breathable materials like cotton or moisture-wicking synthetic fabrics. These socks can help absorb sweat and keep your feet drier.
- Allow shoes to dry: After use, remove any inserts or insoles from your shoes and allow them to air dry in a well-ventilated area. Avoid placing them near direct heat sources, as excessive heat can damage the shoes.
- Use odor control products: Sprinkle baking soda or use odor control products specifically designed for shoes to absorb moisture and neutralize odors. You can also place odor-absorbing sachets or charcoal inserts inside the shoes when they are not in use.
- Rotate your shoes: Alternating between different sports shoes allows each pair to dry completely between uses, reducing the chances of odor buildup.
By implementing these preventive measures and maintaining good foot hygiene, you can minimize the unpleasant smells in your sports shoes.
Best Shoe Odor Deodorizer
Nowadays, there are many shoe odor eliminators available in the market, such as
Lumi Outdoors Natural Shoe Deodorizer
Odor-Eaters Foot Powder
Dr. Scholl’s Odor-Fighting X Foot Powder
Rocket Pure Natural Shoe Deodorizer Spray
Marsheepy 12 Pack Charcoal Shoe Deodorizer Bags
List Schema [acf field="listschema"]
I think now you are well aware of How to prevent basketball shoes from smelling?
Your sweat problem has increased if your basketball breathability is low.
So purchase decision is very important in this regard. If you buy the right basketball shoes, then you already win the half battle. Your shoes must have the excellent breathability attribute basketball shoes.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
Why do my basketball shoes smell so bad?
The primary reason for the bad smell in basketball shoes or any other sports shoes is the sweat of your feet. The sweat depends upon the environment’s temperature, and 2ndly breathability also directly relates to sweat formation and generates the smell.
Why do basketball shoes develop a bad odor, and how can I prevent it?
Discover the root causes of smelly basketball shoes and get tips on keeping them fresh.
Can I wash my basketball shoes to prevent odor, or will it damage them?
Learn whether washing your basketball shoes is a good idea and explore safer alternatives for odor control.
Are there specific products or hacks to eliminate shoe odor in basketball shoes?
Find out about effective deodorizing products and DIY tricks to ensure your basketball shoes stay pleasant and odor-free.
- Basketball Shoes Weight Comparison (2023) – Lightweight Or Heavyweight - October 23, 2023
- How Should Basketball Shoes Fit? (2023) – Benefits Of Proper Fitting - October 23, 2023
- How to fix heel slippage in basketball shoes? (2023) | Reasons & Solution - October 23, 2023