Warm-ups are very essential for every especially in that support which required sharp and quick joint or muscle movement. It helps you to minimize the risk of injury and increase your overall career as your muscle and joint are strengthen by it. Basketball is the very fast and quick movement sports so warm-ups drill is the key factor of your performance.
What are the benefits of warmup before the basketball?
Warmup helps you stiffed muscle to relaxed before it stretched out in the game. It slowly increases your heart and breath rate. That increases body temperature and blood flow. It also reduces muscle soreness. All the above points decrease your risk of injury.
The basketball warm ups is a must before every match or practice. Team warmups before any tough activity raise temperature and body resistance to a level that the chances of becoming injured get minimized.
Basketball is very competitive support, and you need to put your hundred percent in every single match. Warming up your body makes your body temperature rise and also raises your mental energy levels.
Warming up before the actual game player has a lot of benefits. For example, when the muscles of the body of a player are warmed up, the muscles become loose, and the chances of strain become very low. On the other hand, if the muscles are cold and stretched, there is a strong chance that the player might get injured.
Before starting any type of warm ups you must wear your routine best basketball shoes so that your feet adjust in the shoes properly. As most of the basketball shoes brands need break-in time for shoes
In this article, we will discuss different basketball warmup techniques that you can use to reduce the chances of injury by a huge margin. These exercises will also make you in good shape before the actual match begins.
After the warm ups you must also practice basketball defense drills to enhance your skill level
Lets Checkout the basketball warm ups you should try before your next basketball match.
- Basketball Warm ups Drills For 2023
- Basketball Warm Up Exercises
- Why Choose Dynamic Warm ups Over Static Basketball Warm Ups
- 1. Jogging
- Jogging Benefits
- Types of Jogging
- 2. (Alternative to Jogging)
- 3. High Kicks
- 4. Shuffle
- A. Side Shuffle
- B. Run Shuffle
- 5. Butt Kicks
- Extra Tips
- 6. Planks
- 7. Jumping
- 8. Push-Ups
- 9. Pull-Ups
- 10. Basketball Warm Up With Ball
- Bounce Warm Up Exercise
- Goal Of The Dynamic Warm-Up & Its Importance
- Protect You From Injury
- More Strength and Athleticism
- Benefits Of Warm-ups
- 5 Benefits Of Cooling Down
- Basketball Warm Up Accessories
- Recommended Basketball Warm Up Shirts
- Warm Up Stretches
- Last Word
- Frequently Asked Question For Basketball Warm Ups
Basketball Warm ups Drills For 2023
There are a variety of basketball warm ups that are loved by the basketball professionals, and there are warmups that are getting a trend in the game. Here is our perfect recipe for your next basketball warmup up drills that will make you feel more confident in the actual game, and raise your body temperature.
Basketball Warm Up Exercises
- Skipping (Optional)
- High Kicks
- Butt Kicks
- Basketball Warm Up With Ball
If you are not convinced that you should try the dynamic basketball warmup. These benefits might convince you then.
Why Choose Dynamic Warm ups Over Static Basketball Warm Ups
- Dynamic warmups raise your body temperature much quicker and to a better extent.
- There is a way lesser chance of getting injured during the match by the pull of a muscle when you have properly done dynamic basketball warmup.
- We prefer dynamic basketball warm ups because they are usually targeting all the body muscles that are prone to injuries instead of just a few.
- The dynamic warmups are easier to do in the long run.
Jogging is one of the best mobilizations warm up. It activates your lots of muscles so that your body has prepared for the match. It warms up your body properly. 2ndly it enhances your stamina as well. It increases the overall body temperature as well
You should start your basketball warmup with jogging. You can either jog in the gym straight and then backward or you can take a round or two of the ground.
Some important points to remember during the jogging.
- Always start your jogging slowly.
- Make sure that your upper body is aligned.
- Keep your lower body(hips, feet, and knees) aligned.
Jogging is the backbone of any dynamic warmup, and you should start your basketball warmup with jogging and then move towards other warmups.
The main jogging benefits are
- Weight Loss
- Improves Bone Strength
- Develops Muscles
- Keeps the Mind Healthy
- Good for the Heart
- Respiratory system Boosts Prevention
- Infections and Communicable Diseases
- Curbs Mental Stress
- Anti-aging Benefits.
- Immune System betterment
Types of Jogging
The basic types of jogging are
- Base Run
- Progression Run
- Long Run
- Tempo Run
- Hill Repeats
- Recovery Run
2. (Alternative to Jogging)
If you dislike the idea of having a jog before the baseball game, you can try the “Skip” instead of jogging. We personally like jogging than the skipping, but it’s very subjective, and you should check what works better for you, and then you can adapt that routine.
How to skip:
- You can start skipping, and then you should start doing arm circles.
- Do the skip slowly as your body is cold.
- Firstly, do the arm circles in the forward position and then in the backward position.
- You can do the skip in the gym or in the court.
- You can either do the skip for 5 minutes or until you feel warm enough.
Skipping is a basic and very effective exercise, and you should try to include this exercise in your basketball warm ups to reduce the chances of injury and strengthen the body.
You can either do a jog or skip. Or do even better by doing both of them combined.
3. High Kicks
The next exercise that will help you to increase the core temperature of the body is the High Kicks. High kicks will activate your muscles for the next adventure and make you in the flow. Doing high kicks in the warmup session also makes you resistant to the injuries occurring during the high jumps.
Here is how you should be doing for high-kicks.
- Walk slowly straight in a path.
- Raise your legs as high as you can without the extra efforts.
- Keep doing this exercise for at least 2-3 minutes.
After you are done with the high kicks, you should be moving and trying the next exercises to further improve the effectiveness of the warmup.
Now we want to lubricate our joints with shuffling. Shuffling is another cool exercise that will keep your temperature maintained to a certain level. This exercise will also keep your legs stretched out, so all your muscles are in better shape.
We will be doing two different kinds of exercises rather than just one. So, you can avoid having any sort of boredom.
- Side Shuffle
- Run and Shuffle
A. Side Shuffle
Side shuffle is a very popular warmup exercise. This exercise is trusted by many popular athletes and should be included in your warmup routines too.
This lateral movement exercise will increase your metabolism level hence increasing your energy levels too. Here is how you should be doing your side shuffles.
- Stand with your legs stretched out.
- Look forward, with your spine neutral and legs stretched.
- Move right by using small shuffles, and then move left using small shuffles.
- Keep doing the shuffles for 2-3 minutes or 8-10 sets.
B. Run Shuffle
Run and shuffle is another lateral movement exercise that is designed to lubricate your joints. In this exercise, the athlete runs and then shuffles. It’s a very effective exercise and will dramatically level the temperature of your joint muscles and loosen them.
To start the Run and Shuffle:
- Run in a straight path.
- Stop after 3m and shuffle.
- Just like in the side shuffles.
You can try either the side shuffle or run and shuffle. If you are not in a hurry, you can combine both of them and make your own recipe. It all depends upon your choices.
5. Butt Kicks
Butt kicks is another cool exercise that will help loosen your muscles in a productive and fun way. In butt kicks, you move slowly and try to hit your butt with your heels. Here is how the butt kicks will go.
Butt Kick will help you in hamstring contraction speed. By the increase of the hamstring contraction speed, Your speed to run fast will also be increased. Butt Kick help to develop the hamstring muscle and gluts. 2ndly it will also stretch out your muscle.
3rdly it is one of the best cardio exercises. It will increase your blood flow in the body, and your body will be warm up quickly, and the risk of your injury has reduced a lot.
- Move Slowly.
- Then try to touch your heel to your butts.
If in the beginning, you are not to touch your butts with your feet. You can touch them with the help of your hands. Just touch your feet with your bum with the help of your hands, and you are OK.
After doing extensive work out on our lower portion of the body. Now we want you to do some lateral core exercise- the planks. There are a variety of plank exercises that you can do. We have focused on just one of them.
If you like this exercise, you can keep doing it or pick up the one that suits you better.
- Lay Down straight.
- Place your fore-arms on the floor, parallel to your body.
- Keep your body aligned
- The width of the arms should be equal to the shoulders.
- You can do this from 30 seconds to 60 seconds.
You can do 2-3 planks in this routine.
There can be various jumping exercises that you can include in your basketball warm ups to increase your strength. We included a simple jumping exercise in this basketball warmups.
Jumping exercise will help you to get in a good jumping position. Hence, it will be easier for you to jump into the actual game.
- Start moving slowly.
- Then push your self upward as much as you can.
- Repeat 5-7 times, and you are good to go.
Push-ups are the backbone of any important exercise, and basketball warm ups are no exception. The legendary push-ups exercise will increase the core strength of your upper body and, at the same time, increase the core temperature of the body.
Here is how you can do push-ups properly.
- Lay straight onto the ground.
- Place your hands onto the floor and raise your upper body.
- Push your body up and down while keeping your body and neck aligned.
- Do reps in a time frame or in the form of reps.
10. Basketball Warm Up With Ball
As per my experience, the best warm-up is with the ball because it has dual benefits; one is the warm-up, and 2nd you can get hands-on experience.
Just like push-ups. Pulls ups is another cool exercise that strengthens your upper part of the body. Pull-ups require to have a bar to do this exercise. If you have the pull bar. You can easily do the pull-ups.
Pull-ups are a very important exercise and involve a variety of muscles. A must-have exercise for the basketball warm ups I must say.
- Look for a strong bar that is higher than your body.
- Jump and hold the bar with both your hands at shoulder width.
- Start pushing your body with the help of your arms to the bar height.
You can do much as pull-ups as you like. Pull-ups will dramatically increase the core body temperature, and hence you will feel much more confident in the game.
These basketball warm ups are loved by the basketball professionals, and we came up with this list of basketball warm ups after trying a bunch of exercises.
These warmups, when done, can increase your game performance so that you can perform better in the game.
Please give feedback in the comment section that how do you feel about the basic basketball dynamic stretching drills.
Bounce Warm Up Exercise
Here are some Bonus Warm-up exercise which is equally effective
- Low lunges
- Side slide
- Arm circle
- Walking lunges with a rotation
- Glute walk
- Knee Hugs
- Over the fence
Goal Of The Dynamic Warm-Up & Its Importance
If you are unaware of the goal and aim behind this warm-up so you have chosen the right place instead.
In addition, you will come to know about the importance of this activity as well.
It usually decreases the risks of several injuries. Moreover, it also enables the body’s core temperature to rise.
Similarly, it improves the body balance of the player at several points.
The following are some of the advantages of the dynamic warm-up.
Protect You From Injury
At some point, we have come to know that when the puberty period starts, the chances of injuries increase for a player of any game.
Besides, if a player carries good strength, then there is less chance he/she will face severe injuries.
I have come across many players in my region where I saw them get injured badly during puberty even when they were young enough.
You will likely see the lack of strength in glutes. To avoid such situations, we brought you these warm-up guides that will for sure avoid such injuries.
More Strength and Athleticism
It is one of the best advantages you can get from the dynamic warm-up guide that it improves your athleticism.
Let me clear you,
Genetic is the one thing that plays a vital role in being an athlete.
But do not worry, these tips do not require any genetics at all.
The only thing you have to do is to implement the exercise and you will witness spatial awareness, improvement in balance, body control, coordination, and strength.
Benefits Of Warm-ups
There are many benefits of warming up before any the game, especially it is more critical in the fast-moving game and more stretching like basketball, Squash, and volleyball.
The warm-up has many benefits, such as.
- Prepare your body for the match or practice.
- Strengthen your muscle
- Revs up your cardiovascular system
- Increase your blood flow in the muscle
- Decrease Muscle Soreness.
- Reduce the risk of injury
5 Benefits Of Cooling Down
Besides warming up before the game similarly, cooling down is equally beneficial and vital if you want to prolong your carrier.
Cooling down has many benefits such as.
- Reduces heart rate and blood pressure: Cooling down helps your heart rate and blood pressure return to normal gradually.
- Prevents dizziness and fainting: Cooling down can prevent sudden drops in blood pressure that can cause dizziness and fainting.
- Reduces muscle soreness: Cooling down can help reduce muscle soreness and stiffness by flushing out lactic acid buildup.
- Improves flexibility: Stretching during the cool down can help improve flexibility and range of motion.
- Enhances mental relaxation: Cooling down can help you relax mentally, reduce stress and enhance your overall sense of well-being.
Basketball Warm Up Accessories
You should have the below accessories for better warm up results
- Basketball warm up shirts
- Basketball warm up pants
- Basketball warm up jacket
- Basketball warm up hoodies
- Basketball warm up pants with snaps
Recommended Basketball Warm Up Shirts
My top 5 recommendation for the basketball warm up shirts are
- Opna Youth Basketball Performance Long Sleeve Shirts
- SILVERFISH Custom Basketball Warm Up T-Shirt
- Nike Legend Long Sleeve Tee
- Ultra Game NBA Long Sleeve Pullover T-Shirt
- Under Armour Tech 2.0 Long Sleeve T-Shirt
Warm Up Stretches
Along with Warmup, every player needs the proper stretching plan to enhance the flexibility of his body and reduce muscle stiffness. According to sports scientists, the ideal time for stretch is after the warmup or workout.
The warm-up exercises prepare the body of players for the match and also make the muscles active. Many coaches arrange the warm-up sessions before the match, like one or two days before. Dynamic warm-up before basketball is essential, and it has a very positive impact on players’ minds and body. The warm-up is basically to give signals to the mind and body to get ready for the match. It not only impacts the body but also has a very positive impact on the mind.
Frequently Asked Question For Basketball Warm Ups
Q-1: What are some warm ups for basketball?
Reply: Here is the list of our recommended Basketball warp up also followed by most of the famous basketball player
- Skipping (Optional)
- High Kicks
- Butt Kicks
Q-2: How long should you warm up before a basketball game?
Reply: 15 to 20 min is quite enough to warmup your body for the basketball game. The 2nd method of warmup your body by movement preparation exercise in the court
Q-3: Is stretching good for basketball warmup?
Reply: Stretching will increase your muscular flexibility that flexibility has prevent you from many injuries. That’s why Stretching is also very important basketball warmup
Q-4: What are the three types of basketball warm up?
Reply: Here is the list of three types of basketball warm up?
- Ballistic basketball stretches such as Jerking and Bouncing
- Static basketball stretches such as flexing your body muscle
- Dynamic Stretching as well
Q-5: Should I warm up or stretch first before the basketball game?
Reply: General warmup is very important before the proper stretch exercise to avoid any type of injury before the basketball game.